NOC must for job change

DUBAI — Workers seeking transfer of sponsorship will now have to furnish a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the previous company, a senior official of the Ministry of Labour announced yesterday.

By Mary Nammour

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 19 Jul 2007, 8:38 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 3:12 AM

“The condition of acquiring an NOC was re-introduced seven months ago. It had been in place previously but was discontinued early last year.

“Without the NOC, the employee will have to take a forced break of six months.

“In other words, the worker will be banned from working for six months.

“With the NOC in hand, the worker or his new sponsoring company can approach the authorities concerned to regularise his status,” said Humaid bin Deemas, assistant undersecretary in the Ministry of Labour.

“We can say the NOC is the green light for starting the series of procedures for a new work permit. If the worker starts his job with the new company without the NOC he will be subjected to a one-year ban,” said Bin Deemas.

“When an employee finds a new job opportunity and wants to quit his current job he will have to first approach the typing office at MoL with an application of transfer of sponsorship.

“The fees of this application depends on the applicant’s profession and the category of the new company,” he explained.

Bin Deemas added: “The ministry’s approval of the request is to be followed by the approval of the ex-sponsor, which implies the NOC.

“Then the applicant should go once again to MoL to pay Dh5,000 fee for transfer of sponsorship and apply for a new labour card.

“The new sponsoring company has to bear these expenses.”

“After the results of the medical test, MoL transfers the employee’s file from the old company to the new one.

“It also sends a letter of notification to the Dubai Naturalization and Residency Department,” he pointed out.

The MoL official, however, noted that the NOC was not restricted to a particular category of workers.

He also made it clear that the applicant seeking sponsorship transfer won’t have to leave UAE. “Only when the labour card is cancelled and no job opportunity is available, the person in question has to leave within 30 days.

“Otherwise, he will be considered an illegal. Within that 30-day deadline if the person finds a job and wants to stay in the country he can pay the so-called departure fee. It spares him from going out of UAE.”

Bin Deemas further said that a visit visa holder could also convert his visa into an employment visa after paying the departure fee.

More news from