‘No plans for tsunami relief collection drive’

DUBAI —The Indonesian government has no plans at present to start any relief collection drive in the aftermath of the undersea earthquake which hit the southern coast of Indonesia, resulting in a tsunami that killed more than 300 people on Monday, an official of the Consulate-General of the Republic of Indonesia in Dubai, said yesterday.

By Criselda E. Diala

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 20 Jul 2006, 10:08 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 7:13 PM

"Based on the latest information that we have received from our Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jakarta, the situation is currently under control and the Indonesian government is looking after the welfare of the affected people, including tourists. We have no immediate plans of organising a relief effort or a fund drive like what we did in May when the city of Yogyakarta was hit by an earthquake," said Margono Martowiyono, Vice-Consul of the Indonesian Consulate.

The official also said that the consulate had not received any request for assistance from Indonesians based in Dubai and the Northern Emirates. "So far, no nationals had called us to report of any family members in the village of Pangandaran who may have been affected by the tsunami. We assume that they directly called home and that things are well with their families in Indonesia," he said.

Media reports outside the UAE have noted that an earthquake, which measured a magnitude of 7.7 on the Richter scale, had set off the tsunami on Monday at around 3pm. More than 300 people were killed, while hundreds were injured and were left homeless.



More news from