No headway in Filipina's murder case after a year

DUBAI — Over a year has passed since the murder of Mary Ann Wong, a Filipina, in Al Ain, but the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi is yet to receive any information on where the case is headed.

By Criselda E. Diala

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sat 30 Sep 2006, 8:48 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 1:54 PM

The Philippine Ambassador to the UAE, Libran Cabactulan, said the police is still searching for the suspect, Mario Parangalan, a Filipino. "There is still no development in the case. Although it is sad that we are seeking a fellow Filipino, we are also seeking justice for the victim and her family," Cabactulan told Khaleej Times. On September 16 last year, Parangalan was named the prime suspect in the murder.

He also allegedly attacked another Filipina named Loreta in the same villa where Mary lived. Loreta, however. managed to escape by locking herself up in the bathroom, while Wong succumbed to multiple stab wounds.

In February this year, Parangalan was convicted "in absentia" and was sentenced to life imprisonment and payment of blood money to the victim's family. "The prosecution wants to appeal for a higher sentence, they cannot do so because the courts insist Parangalan has be physically present," Cabactulan said.

The ambassador added that they have done their best to constantly follow up on the case, but they remain helpless as the Philippine Embassy needs to abide by the Al Ain Police's rules.

"We have Parangalan's photo and we're ready to show it to the public but we still have to get clearance from the authorities," he said.


More news from