New greens market in Ajman opens on Aug 1

AJMAN — The Ajman Municipality constructed Central Fruit and Vegetable Market in Al Himaidiyah in Ajman, will be opened to the public on August 1.



by

Afkar Ali Ahmed

Published: Fri 2 Jun 2006, 12:16 PM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 7:19 PM

The project, spread over an area of 1,800 square metres and containing 44 shops and stalls, was built at a cost of Dh5 million. The shops and stalls in the old market will soon be notified about the deadline for shifting to the new facility.

Speaking to Khaleej Times, Saif Salim Al Shamsi, Deputy Director-General of the Ajman Municipality, said that the new market will be all set for its official opening by His Highness Shaikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ajman, on August 1.

Following the inauguration, the municipality will be co-ordinating with the Ajman Police for shifting facilities from the old market to the new one, and this basically includes the shifting of containers, heavy vehicles, cold storages and reefers, among numerous other vehicles that serve the requirements of the central market.

He added that the new market, located on the Al Himaidiayah Road, is easily accessible to people from various parts of the emirate. The market, Al Shamsi said, is designed to meet the requirements of the emirate’s vegetables and fruits trade and it will contribute to the speedy development taking place in Ajman. He pointed out that the Ajman Municipality will take care of the waste management, security, housekeeping and provision of other services.

He said that around 70 per cent of the area has been utilised for the market at present, while the remaining 30 per cent would be used for expansion in the near future.

Al Shamsi pointed out that the new Central Vegetable Market — which is one of the municipality’s projects that contribute to the emirate’s infrastructure development — has a modern design and includes an administrative block and wholesale and retail markets. The wholesale market would comprise several blocks consisting a total of more than 44 outlets and stalls. Each shop in the market is provided with two parking lots for loading the goods on one side and two for unloading imported goods on the other side. Centralised refrigerators and warehouses have also been set up in this section.

He added: “There is a rest area for truck drivers, a cafeteria, residential quarters for workers, a mosque, garbage collection areas, police station, restaurants, and an administrative section. An external parking lot that can accommodate trucks and cars of the customers would also be ready by the time the market is fully operational."


More news from