New eye-screening technology helps catch 7,000 illegal entrants

ABU DHABI - Thanks to the new eye-screening technology, immigration authorities have caught more than 7,000 foreigners who were attempting to re-enter the country on fake or new travel documents even though they had a six-month ban, according to an official source.

By Muawia E. Ibrahim

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 12 Apr 2004, 11:57 AM

Last updated: Thu 2 Apr 2015, 12:59 PM

Lt-Col. Ahmed Nassir Al Raysi, Director of Information Technology (IT) Department of Abu Dhabi Police, said the authorities, since the eye-screening procedure was introduced, have refused entry to 7,253 banned foreigners who returned with new travel documents with different data from their previous passports details.

They were caught at entry points and returned to their home countries.

The eye-screening technology was introduced earlier last year.

The number of those who underwent the screening from January 4, 2003 to May 7, 2003 was 72,925.

The new procedure was made mandatory for those who violated residency law and were pardoned under the general amnesty.

Lt-Col Raysi, who is also Director of the National Identification Card (NIC) project, another foolproof scheme to be issued to citizens and residents by the ministry by end of this year, said eye screening had helped in stamping out fraudulent cases.

He pointed out that more than 94 per cent of those caught returned via the country's airports during their six-month ban period.

The eye-screening cameras fitted at all the country’s entry points have detected them.

Giving a break-up of the 7,253, the official said 3,359 were caught in Dubai, 1,907 in Abu Dhabi, 1,651 in Sharjah, 184 in Ras Al Khaimah, and 110 in Fujairah.

Only one case was reported in Umm Al Quwain.



More news from