Metro stops in its tracks

Passengers had a difficult time getting home from work after the Dubai Metro ground to a halt on Sunday due to a ‘technical glitch’, perhaps the worst in its short history.


Muaz Shabandri

Published: Mon 18 Feb 2013, 1:01 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 7:58 AM

Commotion reigned at many stations and people struggled to find alternate modes of transport before the trains were running again. Thousands were stranded at stations for more than an hour before the police and Metro staff started evacuating people.

A spokesperson with the Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) confirmed that a power outage hit Metro stations between Jafiliya and Nakheel stations on the Red Line and the problem had been solved. “The Roads & Transport Authority has reinstated the Dubai Metro service back to normal, following the suspension of the service from Jafiliya Station to Nakheel Station, near the Dubai Internet City and the American University.”

It said the service disruption, which lasted an hour, was caused by an emergency technical glitch that was “attended to promptly by the operating company, which rectified the fault and resumed the service”.

“The RTA apologises to the Dubai Metro riders for this emergency technical fault; which is beyond its control, and thanks passengers for their cooperation with the staff in the Metro stations.”

Earler, police and Metro staff evacuated the stations and hundreds of people could be seen waiting for buses outside stations. During the service suspension, the RTA deployed public buses to shuttle people.

Arsalan Ilyas, a commuter at the Noor Islamic Bank Station, said: “We were asked to leave the station after waiting for more than 20 minutes. There was some announcement about the Metro services not being operational because of a glitch.”

Another commuter, Mohammed Riyaz tried calling the customer service helpline at the RTA. He said the operator confirmed “there was a problem” but there was no information on what was being done.

Tajul Islam was taken aback when the Metro station entrance was closed. “I usually travel to Jafliya from Al Quoz and there was no information on what was happening. I called one of my friends for a lift as there was no other option.”

Many Metro commuters also said some Metro stations were closed for a while and many were seen calling friends or family for help. Slow moving traffic from the fourth interchange on Shaikh Zayed Road added to the problem as commuters had difficulty finding taxis.

Each day, thousands of people use the Metro to commute from their homes to work and back. The snag hit at the worst possible time, leaving people with no choice but to wait for the resumption of services.

More news from