Man killed, wife critical after carbon monoxide poisoning
Dubai - Doctors from Rashid Hospital succeeded in saving the life of the Asian woman who was found unconscious next to her dead husband at their apartment after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) has warned the public about carbon monoxide poisoning after a man died and his wife was left in a critical condition.
Doctors from Rashid Hospital succeeded in saving the life of the Asian woman who was found unconscious next to her dead husband at their apartment after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The cause of the carbon monoxide leak at the couple's apartment has not been determined. The gas is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood don't burn fully. Burning charcoal, running cars and smoke from cigarettes also produce carbon monoxide.
Dr Sara Kazim, consultant emergency medicine and medical toxicologist at the hospital, said the woman had a seizure on the way to the hospital and when she woke up she was complaining of headache and nausea.
"Medical tests found that she had high levels of carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that can cause dizziness, nausea, tiredness and shortage of breath to name a few ... and even death if exposed to high levels," she said.
Dr Kazim advised the public to be careful when burning fuels in closed rooms without a ventilation system.
|Carbon monoxide is deadly |
After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream and attaches to haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhemoglobin. When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body's cells and tissue to fail and die.
In carbon monoxide poisoning cases, one cannot feel that he is poisoned as it's odourless. One can even be poisoned while sleeping without feeling it.