Man held hostage for Dh5,000 ransom

DUBAI — The Dubai Court of First Instance on Sunday heard the case in which an Indian man was held hostage for ransom.

By Mohsen Rashid (Our staff reporter)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 9:03 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 2:23 AM

As per the court records, the victim, A.R, was abducted from Dubai by five men on May 8 this year. The five, four of whom have been arrested while one is still at large, forced the man into a car and drove him to Umm Al Quwain. They had allegedly demanded Dh5,000 to release him.

The accused include F.M.A, 20, an Iranian worker, and Indian workers N.Y.S, 24, N.M.P, 21 and G.R.M, 25. The fifth accused, who is absconding, is also an Indian.

According to court records, the five men had also, allegedly, snatched A.R’s purse which had Dh14,600 in cash as well as a cell phone.

After abducting him, the accused contacted K.L.Y, the victim’s brother.

They threatened to kill his brother if he did not pay them Dh5,000 as ransom.

The five men also beat up the victim who sustained serious injuries as a result, the court was told.

The victim’s brother reported the matter to the police, who decided to lay a trap. They told the brother to agree to pay the ransom and call them to a place in Naif area to collect the money.

Two of the suspects, N.Y.S and N.M.P showed up at the place and asked K.L.Y to hand over the cash. The police arrested them at the spot.

The two men told the police that they had been sent by G.R.M to receive the money.

Later, two of the other abductors contacted the victim’s brother who said he was ready to pay the ransom. However, they refused to meet him. Instead, they released the victim at a spot in Umm Al Quwain from where he took a taxi and headed to Al Rifaa Police Station in Dubai. He gave the police the description of the car and its number plate.

Upon inquiry, it came to light that the vehicle had been leased by the first suspect, G.M.A, who happened to be working with the Dead Burial Section at Forensic Medicine Department of Dubai Police.

When interrogated, G.M.A initially denied his involvement, but later confessed to his crime. He showed the police the whereabouts of the fourth suspect, H.R.M, who was arrested by the police.

The victim had identified the four suspects when they were paraded before him by the police.

The Public Prosecution referred the four to the court. The police are on the lookout for the fifth suspect.

The court has fixed the next hearing into the case on January 15, 2008.

More news from