Labour ministry officials allowed to get job visas

ABU DHABI — The Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs has finally nodded conditional sanction allowing ministry officials obtain employment visas, Khaleej Times has learnt.

By Nada S. Mussallam

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sun 15 May 2005, 10:29 AM

Last updated: Thu 2 Apr 2015, 8:26 PM

The decision, which will come into effect from today followed three month controversial denial by the Labour Minister, Dr Ali bin Abdullah Al Kaabi to issue employment visas for his staff despite their applications compliance with required conditions for granting work permits.

Dr Al Kaabi said the move aims to regulate issuance of employment visa and make sure employees don’t own commercial licences that contradict with the professions as ministry officials.

“The door is open now for all the staff to obtain employment visa through the concerned committees provided that applicants don’t own more than 10 facilities”, a senior official source at the ministry yesterday, told Khaleej Times.

“Officials who have more than 10 firms are allowed to transfer the ownership of some facilities to another person even he/she was his/her relatives”, said the source.

He said the applicants should also have facilities that are not involved in business linked in any way to the ministry.

He said the ministerial decision, was based on the findings of the study conducted a special panel to define the type of commercial licences owned by the ministry’s staff and the labour status of existing employees at these firms.

“The decision has been widely welcomed by the staff, specially where 75 per cent of the employees own 10 or less firms while the other 25 per cent either posses marginal activities or have their facilities on the verge of closure”, explained the source.

He said the decision would help the staff settle the status of their firms, so as to be able to get new work permits.

“It would also ensure employees would be able to secure a level of competence in their work. It is not logic a ministry employee could own 130 commercial licences and mange at the same time to function accordingly”.

He said under the new order, it is not permissible for the staff to own labourforce recruitment offices, nurseries or centres for rehabilitation of people with special needs.

“Other banned activities might also be added later to the list of exercises the ministry staff shouldn’t get involved in”, he said.

He underlined abiding by the labour laws and regulations, are fundamental for issuing new work permits, and that the minister will supervise the process of applications.


More news from