After the Union Cabinet's decision, Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday proposed to scrap Article 370 and moved two resolutions and two Bills in the Rajya Sabha.
Here are some key points you should know:
1. Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) order, 2019: This is as per provisions of Article 370 (1). Exercising powers, President revoked Article 370. It shall come into force at once, and shall thereupon supersede the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954 as amended from time to time.
2. Resolution for Article 370: It ceases to exist, as per Article 370(3). In the present situation, simple majority of both the houses needed to pass the resolution. The expression "Constituent Assembly of the State referred to in clause (2)" shall read "Legislative Assembly of the State".
3. Bill for reorganisation of J&K: It is to reorganise the state into two separate Union Territories -- Jammu and Kashmir, which will have a legislature, and Ladakh, which will be without a legislature. The new J&K Union Territory will comprise the territories of current Jammu and Kashmir regions. The governor of current J&K will be the Lt Governor of the J&K and Ladakh UTs.
4. The J&K Assembly will have a term of five years and will have 107 MLAs. The outgoing Assembly had 111 members.
5. Rajya Sabha to continue to host four sitting members from current J&K. Five Lok Sabha seats have been allocated to J&K Union Territory and one for Ladakh UT. All the bills passed by the Assembly will be sent to LG for his consent. LG can give his assent, withhold it or send the bill for consideration of the President.
6. Bill for reservation of 10 per cent for economically weaker sections (EWS) in J&K: The Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 for implementation of the 10 per cent EWS quota in the state. After the bill is passed by the Parliament, all residents of the state with income below Rs800,000 per annum would benefit from 10 per cent quota. It was approved by the Union Cabinet on July 31.
7. The proposed legislation could not be brought before the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly which has been dissolved. Parliament has earlier passed the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which provides people living near the International Border in Jammu and Kashmir to get the benefit of reservation in jobs, promotion, and educational institutions on par with those living along the Line of Control (LoC).
Take a look: How the state of #JammuandKashmir will cease to exist#JammuKashmir #Article370 #Article35A pic.twitter.com/2DPq3UamOZ
- IANS Tweets (@ians_india) August 5, 2019
The US president suggested he was not fully confident that Russian officials are fully informed about their leader's thinking
Europe1 hour ago
23 people had died due to carbon monoxide poisoning after being stuck inside their cars during a storm
Asia1 hour ago
'I cannot be a monkey on his back and bother him for little things'
Entertainment1 hour ago
Republicans used the decades old 'filibuster' rule to sink the legislation.
World1 hour ago
The two recently marked a year in office
World1 hour ago
China's aviation regulator in January alone cancelled 143 return flights as Omicron variant spreads across the globe.
coronavirus2 hours ago
Forecasters also warn of very rough seas
Weather2 hours ago