Group clash: Three firms told to shift labourers

DUBAI - Dubai Police have asked three contracting companies to shift their labourers from their camps located in Jebel Ali Industrial Area following a clash between two Asian groups in the early hours of Monday, a senior police official said yesterday.



By Riyasbabu And Amira Agarib (Our staff reporters)

Published: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 8:40 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 6:48 PM

Abdul Jaleel Mahdi, Director of Preventive Security Department of Dubai Police, said the move was to avoid any more violence in the area.

A dispute between two Asian groups turned violent on Monday, leaving 59 labourers injured. The clash followed a drunken scuffle between two labourers. Friends and relatives joined the duo resulting in a major clash, the police said.

Jaleel Mahdi told Khaleej Times that the police personnel were monitoring the area and a number of officers had been deployed to maintain law and order.

“We have already asked three companies to shift their labourers to other accommodations. We have intensified the police patrolling in the area. The situation is completely under control but we want to make sure that there are no more clashes,” said Jaleel Mahdi.

The official of the company who requested anonymity said, “Our workers were involved in the clashes. After receiving instructions from the police, we started shifting workers belonging to one group to labour camps in Al Quoz and Sonapur.”

Meanwhile, sources in Rashid Hospital said of the 32 workers admitted to the hospital, 25 had been discharged and seven were still undergoing treatment.

Sources in Al Baraha Hospital said all the 27 workers admitted to the hospital had been discharged.

Roopan Das, a worker living in Jebel Ali Industrial Area, said, “Police vehicles are roaming around and some police personnel are camping in the area.”


More news from