Girl dies in Sharjah probably due heat exhaustion

SHARJAH — A 14-month-old girl, left in the car by her mother who went to buy groceries for around 20 minutes, died due to suspected heat exhaustion on Saturday afternoon and a 30-year-old woman fell unconscious in her car on Sunday in Sharjah.


Afkar Ali Ahmed

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 29 Jul 2009, 12:01 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 8:03 PM

While the exact cause of the child’s death is to be determined by forensic experts, police have warned of heat exhaustion during summer and urged people not to leave children inside cars.

A Sharjah Police officer, who asked not to be named, said the mother left the girl in the car to shop for groceries in Al Grayen Cooperative Society. When she came back, she found the child unconscious. She called her husband who called the Al Gharb police around 12.30pm.

The girl was rushed to the nearby Royal Hospital in an ambulance.

Dr Emad Al Mashat, Medical Director of the Royal Hospital, said the girl was brought dead. The exact cause of the death would be determined by forensic experts.

The child’s mother told the police that she had not taken more than more than 20 minutes. She said the child was sleeping and she was not planning to spend a long time in the supermarket. That was why she left her daughter in the car.

On Sunday evening, police officers and a municipality inspector managed to save the life of a 30-year-old Jordanian woman after she fell unconscious in her car. The woman said when she felt weak, she parked her car between two parking spaces in front of a bridal shop on Al Wahda Street. The police said the woman was found unconscious in the car by a municipality inspector and the shopkeeper.

The shopkeeper called the police who took her to Al Kuwaiti Hospital.

A doctor at the hospital informed the police that the woman had suffered heat exhaustion but would be fine.

Saffi, the shopkeeper, said a municipality inspector asked him to remove a Honda car as it was parked in two spaces to avoid the fine.

“I told the inspector it is not mine. When I went to check, I saw the woman. I knocked at the window, but she did not respond,” Saffi said. “I thought she was dead and a lot of people gathered around. I had to call the police who came and broke the window glass and found the woman alive. They rushed her to the hospital.’

More news from