Four students ill after eating from canteen

AJMAN — Four students of a private school in Ajman fell ill after eating food items bought from the school canteen on Sunday.


Afkar Ali Ahmed

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 14 Apr 2010, 11:51 PM

Last updated: Thu 2 Apr 2015, 10:50 AM

The children recovered, thanks to the immediate medical attention.

According to Khalid Moeen Al Hosani, Director of the Public Health and Environment Department at the Ajman Municipality, this is the first such incident in the emirate this academic year.

As soon as the civic body was notified about the incident, food samples were taken from the canteen and examined at the Central Laboratory of the municipality. “The sick students were immediately treated at the schools health centre of Ajman Medical Zone and health inspectors immediately went to the canteen and took samples from all food items offered there to ensure their safety for human consumption.

“After completing all laboratory tests, we found out that the samples were unfit for human consumption as they were stored in an unhygienic way. We also learnt that these items were bought from a supplier working in another emirate.

We ordered to stop the activities of the supplier in the emirate, while directing the school administration to buy food items from the 15 suppliers approved by the Ajman Municipality. We frequently take food and water samples from all schools operating in the emirate to ensure they are fit for human consumption.”

Al Hosani noted that the department recently released a booklet targeting school canteens. The booklet clearly mentions that selling food items in canteens without prior approval from the civic body is prohibited.

“Foods sold at canteens should be healthy. They should be properly stored and packed. Food items sold at school canteens should not contain high amount of fats and preservatives and should always be refrigerated.”

More news from