Fashion show to support Pak cancer hospital

DUBAI — The Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust (SKMT), which runs the Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre in Pakistan, has opened its offices at the Dubai International Humanitarian City following its licensing by the authorities as a charity.

By (Staff Reporter)

Published: Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:35 PM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 3:00 AM

Rahma Yunus, manager, Fund raising (Gulf), Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust, told Khaleej Times that SKMT and MINT Events and Models are partnering in a fashion show of contemporary designs, Glamouricious 2011 on Thursday in Dubai to bring forward the common goal to raise awareness and financially support the hospital to continue to provide free cancer treatment.

At the fashion show at Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel, SKMT will be showcasing cancer message T-shirts signed by Imran Khan, Rahma said. These funky T-shirts will be later sold to support the charity. Ten per cent of the overall profit of the one-hour long fashion show will go to SKMT, she said.

Rahma said that SKMT has achieved 75 per cent of the target to raise $1.4 million during 2011 and the remaining 25 per cent would be collected by the end of the year. In the fashion show, designers from Pakistan, India and Malaysia will be showcasing their fusion wear. They include: L’amore, Nargis Hafeez, Trey Casti, Linaz, Rabiya Mumtaz, Saba Asad and SKMT.

MINT Event and Models was established by Sarah Khan and Maryam Nawaz to try and bridge a perceived gap in the Dubai fashion scene.

They said that the company was established under the mantra that they would always seek to bring fresh ideas to the more discerning Dubai followers of fashion and at the same time give such creative minds the kind of platform that they deserved.

More news from