Eviction deadline for industrial area buildings is extended by two months

SHARJAH — The Sharjah Directorate of Town Planning and Survey (DTPS) has extended by two months the eviction notice deadline issued to tenants of Sharjah Industrial Area No. 6, whose buildings will be demolished in view of the King Abdul Aziz Roads expansion project.



by

Afkar Ali Ahmed

Published: Tue 23 May 2006, 10:49 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 7:48 PM

DTPS extended the deadline period by two months following a request by Khaleej Times, on behalf of the tenants who had approached the paper for help in this regard because their children had yet to complete their examinations.

The DTPS had earlier distributed notices to tenants and commercial outlets of six building, asking them to vacate their apartments and premises within a month by June 9. The tenants had then expressed their inability to do so because of their children were appearing for their school examinations. They also pointed out that it was difficult to find alternative and affordable accommodation within such a short period.

Speaking to Khaleej Times, Salah bin Butti explained that the King Abdul Aziz Street expansion project is one of the massive roads construction projects being currently implemented by the Sharjah government. The Dh420 million project, which is now in its first phase, is expected to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2008. The project also includes the construction of a bridge on Emirates Road, and another bridge on Industrial Area 14 to ease the traffic.

He said that the expansion of King Abdul Aziz Street is in line with the directives of His Highness Dr Shaikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, to facilitate roads and ease the flow of traffic in the emirate.

Bin Butti said that his department had also received requests from tenants demanding an extension of an additional six months, but this he pointed was not possibly because it will delay the execution of this project. However, he assured the tenants that the electricity supply will not be disconnected until the end of the notice period — August 1.

With regard to the financial loss which will be faced by the landlords and the owners of commercial outlets in these buildings, Khaleej Times talked to an official in the compensation section who assured that everybody affected by the project will be compensated by Sharjah government. Loss estimates have already been made and the section is currently working out modalities of making these compensation payments — after the demolition of the buildings.


More news from