Emirates ID card expires with the residency permit

Validity of Emirates Identity Card is directly linked to the validity of the residency permit. If the residency permit expires or is terminated, the ID card also expires.

By Compiled By Ahmed Shaaban (Legal View)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 9:51 PM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 3:59 PM

Q) I have been working in a company in Abu Dhabi since October 2006. I finished my first three year contract and renewed it again for another three years. Due to some reasons, I have submitted my resignation. I signed my cancellation letter, but they asked for my Emirates Identity Card. Is it necessary?

A) Validity of Emirates Identity Card is directly linked to the validity of the residency permit. If the residency permit expires or is terminated, the ID card also expires.

Q) My cousin owes me Dh6,500. He promised to pay back the debt in monthly instalments, but he broke his word several times. Unfortunately, I do not have any documents to prove my rights and get my money back as he is a relative. However, I have some witnesses including our grandmother, a friend and some other relatives. They are ready to testify in my favour. Please, advice.

A) As per Article No. 35 of the UAE Federal Law No. 10 of 1992, the ‘Law of Proof in Civil and Commercial Transactions (Law of Evidence)’, if the claim amount is less than Dh5,000, one can file civil case if he has witnesses to prove that the borrower owes money to him. Since your claim amount is more than Dh5,000, to file a civil case you need evidence other than witnesses to prove that you gave money to your cousin.

Q) I am an engineer. My labour contract is limited for three years. What will be the best time for resignation without work ban? Will one month before the end of the contract be ideal or what are the other alternatives? Can ban be lifted by paying some fine?

A) In your letter you have mentioned that you are an engineer, in that case you may check with the Labour Department whether your profession comes under the category which is exempted from ban. If not, I suggest you to complete your present term and one month before the end of the contract (or any other notice period agreed with the employer), you may submit a letter, not resignation letter, stating your inability to renew the contract for the next term. Since yours is a limited contract, in order to avoid ban you have to compete the term.

Q) If I sign a blank cheque provided by the bank on their application form to avail credit cards, can the bank bounce this cheque and file police case? If the bank has not collected a security cheque against my credit card, can the bank file a police case or a travel ban?

A) If you sign a cheque and it bounces due to insufficient funds in your account, then you are liable for legal action. If you become defaulter of the payments, bank can take all legal actions against you even without a security cheque.

Q) I am a British national employed by a Dubai company and have a residence visa valid from February 2009. I have now been offered a position with a Sharjah-based company. I wish to resign and transfer my visa to the new company. However, it has come to my knowledge that my current company has allowed their trade licence to expire. I obviously have no control over getting my current company to renew their trade licence. Therefore, I would like to know if it is still possible to transfer my residence visa and employment to the new company while the trade licence of my current employer is expired.

A) Without renewing the trade licence of your company your visa will not be transferred to the new company.

K.K. Sarachandra Bose is a Partner/ Corporate, Commercial and Contract Lawyer at Dar Al Adalah Advocates and Legal Consultants. Readers may e-mail their questions to: ktedit@emirates.net.ae or send them to (Legal View), Khaleej Times, Dubai P.O. Box 11243.

More news from