Dh5m Ajman market set to open

AJMAN - The huge Central Fruit and Vegetable Market at Al Humaidiyah in Ajman will soon be officially inaugurated by His Highness Shaikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ajman.



by

Afkar Ali Ahmed

Published: Mon 8 Aug 2005, 11:10 PM

Last updated: Thu 2 Apr 2015, 7:12 PM

The construction of the market was taken up as part of the municipality's new strategic development plan for the emirate which also includes several developmental projects that will make Ajman a model for modern cities.

The project spread over an area of 1,800 square metres accommodating 44 shops and stalls was built at a cost of Dh5 million. The shops and stalls in the old market have been notified about the deadline to shift to the new market in Al Himaidiaya Area.

Speaking to Khaleej Times, Saif Al Shamsi, Deputy Director-General of Ajman Municipality, said that after the inauguration, the municipality will coordinate with Ajman Police to shift facilities from the old market to the new one.

He said the new market which is located on the Al Ahmadiya Road is easily accessible from different parts of the emirate. The market, Al Shamsi said, is designed to meet the requirements of the Emirate's vegetables and fruits trade and will contribute to speedy development process taking place in Ajman.

Ajman Municipality will take care of the waste management, security, house-keeping besides providing other services, he said, adding that about 70 per cent of the area had been utilised for the market as it exists at present, while the remaining 30 per cent would be used for expansion in the future.

Al Shamsi pointed out that the new Central Vegetable Market has a modern design and includes an administrative block and wholesale and retail markets.

The wholesale market would comprise several blocks consisting of over 44 outlets. Each shop in the market is provided with two parking lots for loading the goods on one side and two for unloading imported goods on the other side. Centralised cold storage and warehouses have also been set up in this section.

He said a rest area for truck drivers, a cafeteria, residential quarters for workers, a mosque, garbage collection areas, a police station and restaurants as well as an administrative section complete the infrastructure. An external parking lot which can accommodate trucks and cars of customers would also be ready by the time the market is fully operational.


More news from