Court Upholds Jail Term of Man for Armed Robbery

DUBAI — The Court of Appeals on Thursday upheld a three-year prison sentence handed by a lower court to a security guard for armed robbery at a money exchange office. The court also upheld his deportation order.

By Mary Nammour

Published: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 12:43 AM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 2:35 PM

The Court of First Instance had sentenced the 29-year-old Ugandan security guard on November 3 last year to three years in prison for armed robbery at Belhasa Exchange Office in Al Qusais 1 on March 24 last year. The court had also ordered his deportation after he serving the jail term.

According to court records, the Ugandan entered the exchange office hiding a hunting gun in a plastic bag and threatened the cash teller who was forced to part with Dh27,050.

He said during interrogation that he bought the gun from a shop in December 2008 to use it in an armed robbery he was planning. He had been watching Belhasa Exchange for some time.

After 10.30 am on March 24, he entered the office and threatened the staff with the gun. As he got the money in his hand, someone rang the alarm.

He took a cab and went to Shaikh Zayed Road. There he took a bus and went home where he broke the gun and threw it in the garbage. Then he went to Deira where he bought five mobile phones and a travel ticket to Nairobi.

He converted the remaining money to dollars and reached Sharjah International Airport on March 30 to fly out but was caught. The teller told the prosecutors that he saw the defendant entering the office, he did not pay attention at first. “I thought he was a customer. However, I was shocked to see him brandishing a gun to my face. My superior told me to give him what he wanted, so I did,” the teller said.

After viewing the CCTV footage, the police traced the man’s whereabouts to a security group in Al Quoz.

“His boss told us that the guard had gone on leave taking his passport with him. They tried to call him but could not reach him,” a police officer said. The defendant’s photo was sent to all exit points of the country and he was caught at the Sharjah airport.

More news from