63 expatriates issued internal work permits

DUBAI — Sixty-three expat workers were issued internal work permits, correcting their status immediately after the cancellation of their visas and labour cards and without the need to wait for the six- month period needed to be eligible for the issuance of a fresh work permit.

By Eman Al Baik

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 9 Mar 2006, 10:00 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 7:28 PM

Dr Ali bin Abdullah Al Kaabi, the Minister of Labour said yesterday that the ministry is issuing ‘internal work permit’, a new classification, for correcting the status of employees and to help those whose visas were cancelled, to continue working in the country without the need to wait for the six-month lapse from the dates of their labour cards’ cancellation. The measure was adopted last December and until now, about 63 internal work permits correcting the workers’ status were issued.

The ministry has introduced a new category called internal work permit which enables some categories of qualified employees to obtain new work permits right after they cancel their old ones. Under this new type of work permits, some employees in specific cases are exempted from the ministry’s decision which stipulates that any employee who cancels his employment visa will have to wait for six months from the date of cancellation in order to be eligible for the issuance of a new work permit, explained Ahed Khajoor, Assistant Undersecretary for Manpower and Planning at the Ministry of Labour. However, a worker should have his visa and labour card cancelled first in order to be issued the internal work permit.

Khajoor said that those entitled for such a facility should not be engaged in any labour dispute with their employers, and should not violate the provisions of their labour contracts and the labour law in a way that calls for slapping their passports with a one-year ban on work in the UAE. Also, employees with limited labour contracts should complete the duration of their contracts and should not have committed any of the violations detailed in Article 120 of the Federal Labour Law No. 8 of 1980 in order to avail of the facility.

Also, employees who have the unlimited type of labour contract cannot enjoy this facility unless they complete at least one year of service with their employers, Khajoor stressed. When applying for the ‘internal work permit’, the employee should mention that he was working in the country earlier. Despite the fact that it is not a sponsorship transfer transaction, the applicant for this transaction should pay the fee specified for the sponsorship transfer in accordance with the category that the employee belonged to.

More news from