MENA
Logo
 

Jordan says it has foiled Iran-backed bomb attack, bans publishing info on plot

(Agencies)
Filed on July 6, 2015
Jordan says it has foiled Iran-backed bomb attack, bans publishing info on plot

The suspect, whose name was not given, was arrested in possession of 45 kilos of explosives in the northern town of Jerash.


Amman - Jordanian authorities have foiled a "terrorist" attack and arrested an Iraqi man in possession of explosives said to have come from Iran's Revolutionary Guards, a judicial source said on Monday.

"Security services thwarted a terrorist plan at the last minute which was going to be carried out by an Iraqi on behalf of Iran's Quds Force," the source told AFP, without providing further details.

The suspect, whose name was not given, was arrested in possession of 45 kilos of explosives in the northern town of Jerash.

The source did not say when he was detained.

He was due to appear before the state security court later Monday, accused of "possessing explosive material and planning terrorist acts", the judicial source said.

Iran's Quds Force, the foreign operations arm of its Revolutionary Guards, is charged with carrying out missions abroad.

Tehran is a key backer of Syrian President Bashar Al Assad, who has accused Jordan of aiding rebel groups fighting his forces in Syria.

Jordan is hosting a US-run programme to train Syrian rebels to fight against the Daesh group and has said it is training some tribal groups in Syria.

There are fears that the normally peaceful kingdom could become embroiled in the conflicts raging in neighbouring Iraq and Syria.

The last major attack on Jordanian soil was in 2005 when suicide bombers blasted three hotels in Amman, killing and wounding dozens of people.

Jordan bans publishing information on terror plot

 

Jordan's State Security Court decided on Monday to forbid the publishing of information regarding an alleged plot to carry out terrorist attacks in Jordanian territory.

The decision was adopted at the beginning of the trial of suspect Khaled Al Rubai, accused of working for the Iranian intelligence, according to Petra news agency.

All media outlets have been banned from reporting on the trial.

The 49-year-old suspect has previously colluded in terrorist attacks, and is a member of the Beit Al Maqdis group.

Al Rubai was recently arrested in Jarash, 30 km north of Amman, where he had been storing explosives.





ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Region
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /region/mena/jordans-prince-hamza-pledges-allegiance-to-king-after-mediation macro_action: article, macro_profile: ,1027,1016 macro_adspot:
 
 
-->
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery