Region
Logo
 

Kuwait makes DNA tests mandatory after Daesh bombing

(AFP)
Filed on July 1, 2015
Kuwait makes DNA tests mandatory after Daesh bombing

Under the law, people who refuse to give samples for the test face one year in jail and a fine of up to $33,000 and those who provide fake samples can be jailed for seven years.

Kuwait makes DNA tests mandatory after Daesh bombing (/assets/oldimages/kuwait0107.jpg)

Kuwaiti parliament speaker Marzouq Al Ghanim (C) holds hands with men who lost family members in the suicide attack at the Shia Al Imam Al Sadeq mosque the previous week. -AFP

Kuwait City - Kuwait’s parliament, reacting to a suicide bombing last week that killed 26 people, adopted a law on Wednesday requiring mandatory DNA testing on all the country’s citizens and foreign residents.

The legislation, requested by the government to help security agencies make quicker arrests in criminal cases, calls on the interior ministry to establish a database on all 1.3 million citizens and 2.9 million foreign residents.

Under the law, people who refuse to give samples for the test face one year in jail and a fine of up to $33,000. Those who provide fake samples can be jailed for seven years.

Parliament also approved a $400 million emergency funding for spending required by the interior ministry.

“We have approved the DNA testing law and approved the additional funding. We are prepared to approve anything needed to boost security measures in the country,” independent MP Jamal Al Omar said.

A suicide bomber blew himself up during Friday prayers last week at a Shia mosque in the capital, also wounding 227 people, in an attack claimed by the Daesh group.

Daesh’s Saudi affiliate, the Najd Province, claimed the bombing and identified the assailant as Abu Suleiman Al Muwahhid. Kuwaiti authorities said his real name was Fahd Suleiman Abdulmohsen Al Qabaa, saying he was a Saudi born in 1992.

Interior Minister Shaikh Mohammad Khaled Al Sabah told parliament on Tuesday security agencies had busted the “terror cell” behind the bombing.

“We are in a state of war. Yes, we have busted this terror cell but there are other cells we are going to strike,” Shaikh Mohammad said.

He said the emirate has revised “all security measures, especially around mosques and all places of worship”.

Of an unspecified number of suspects arrested, five have been referred to the public prosecution service. They include the driver who took the bomber to the mosque and the owner of the car.

Justice and Islamic Affairs Minister Yacoub Al Sane told parliament the supreme judicial council has decided to create a special court to try the case.





ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Region
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /article/20140625/ARTICLE/306259888/1016 macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery