Pakistan to scan all NATO containers
All containers passing through Pakistan to supply NATO troops in Afghanistan are to be scanned to ensure they do not contain lethal supplies, customs officials said.
Islamabad reopened overland routes to NATO convoys earlier this week after closing them in protest at a US air raid that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers at a border post in November.
A number of trucks have already crossed into Afghanistan, but the vast majority are still at the Arabian Sea port of Karachi, where they have languished for the past seven months.
Ties between Washington and Islamabad, fractious allies in the “war on terror”, plummeted following the air strike and blockade, which ended after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said sorry for the deaths.
The two sides are still rebuilding trust and officials in Karachi, where thousands of trucks and containers languished during the blockade, said there would be thorough checks to ensure the convoys conformed to Pakistani parliamentary guidelines barring the transport of lethal supplies.
“We scanned the containers randomly in the past, but now every container will be duly scanned,” Karachi customs spokesman Qamar Thalho said.
“We can seize any item, anything that be, if it is not mentioned in the agreements between Pakistan and Afghanistan and Pakistan and NATO.”
An official speaking on condition of anonymity said the move was intended to stymie opposition parties and religious groups — who have criticised the resumption of supplies.
“A strict scanning of the cargo is just one important measure not to give enough space to the opposition to exploit public sentiments,” the official said.
Up to 1,500 trucks packed with NATO supplies have been stranded in Karachi during the blockade, unable to unload and find other work.
Rana Mohammad Aslam, vice president of the All Pakistan Goods Carrier Association, said 560,000 rupees ($6,000) compensation per vehicle would be paid to the truck owners by NATO subcontractors.
The land routes into Afghanistan are vital as the United States and NATO withdraw troops and equipment built up since the 2001 invasion.
The blockade had forced the United States and its allies to rely on longer, more expensive routes through Central Asia, Russia and the Caucasus, costing the US military about $100 million a month, according to the Pentagon.
"I think that Nato should be expanded and we should include the... READ MORE
The innovative properties of the sensor could lead to future... READ MORE
Aides ordered to work with Harry's household and Prime Minister Boris ... READ MORE
In a tweet, Morrison said, "Thank you UAE for your condolences and... READ MORE
The Diwan of the Royal Court of Oman has declared an official three... READ MORE
Heavy rain hit parts of Dubai on Friday evening. READ MORE
Until now passport renewal under tatkaal scheme would take 24 hours. READ MORE
Met said weather is expected to become stable by Sunday. READ MORE