Shampoo bottle left in hot car explodes, shatters sun roof

Shampoo bottle left in hot car explodes, shatters sun roof

The aerosol can contains chemicals, which are flammable when heated.



By Web Report

Published: Tue 24 Sep 2019, 10:31 AM

Last updated: Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:42 PM

An aerosol can of dry shampoo has exploded through the sun roof of a car in Missouri after it was left in the vehicle in hot weather.
The images of the explosion on Daily Mail, show the intensity of the blast which shattered the car's sun roof and left console charred and broken.
The car belonged to a 19-year-old woman whose mother, Christine Bader Debrecht, issued a warning against keeping aerosol cans inside cars following the blast.

Debrecht posted images on Facebook and wrote: 'It was hot and the can exploded. It blew the console cover off of its hinges, shot through the sunroof, and went high enough in the air that it landed about 50 feet away. Please don't leave aerosol cans (and especially dry shampoo, as this seems to be an issue with some brands) in your car'!
The aerosol can which exploded contains a label with a warning: 'Container may explode if heated'. The aerosol can of dry shampoo contains ingredients such as isobutane, chloride, phenethyl alcohol and propane and butane both of which act as propellants - meaning they help push out the liquids stored in an aerosol can. When heated, these chemicals become extremely flammable, reported Daily Mail.


More news from Americas