15 bus routes set to change in Abu Dhabi
Staff Reporter / 6 May 2013
In response to the growing need for bus services among commuters, the Department of Transport in Abu Dhabi (DoT) announced on Sunday that it has introduced route expansion and changes in ten buses operating in the Capital and five in Al Ain.
The changes include cancellation of bus services in some areas and expansion of services on other routes.
“These route modifications have been implemented following a comprehensive study conducted by the DoT on all existing route services with an aim to address commuters’ needs for world-class, convenient and almost round-the-clock bus transportation options,” said general manager of the Bus Office at the DoT Saeed Mohammed Fadel Al Hameli.
He stressed DoT’s commitment in providing a wider geographic coverage through its bus services.
Recently, the DoT embarked on an expansion of bus services by operating nine new routes, three in Abu Dhabi and six in Al Ain.
Providing services for commuters in both cities, the new services have increased the number of total daily bus trips in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain by 27 per cent and 20 per cent respectively.
The DoT’s bus fleet encompasses more than 800 world-class buses, providing transportation service to more than 170,000 commuters every day. More than 500 buses operate in Abu Dhabi, around 200 in Al Ain, while more than 80 buses provide inter-city services.
Bus service changes
- Route 5: Linking Marina Area with Al Sowwah Square-Mariah Island, with the bus stop at the Municipality Building now cancelled.
- Route 7: Will reach Sun Tower-Al Reem Island from Marina Area.
- Route 8: Expanded to reach Fish Market-Al Mina from Al Bateen West with the service arriving at the Marina now cancelled and replaced by service number 9 and 11.
- Route 9: Will stop at the Abu Dhabi Municipality Building.
- Route 32: Has been widened, providing a direct service to Al Khabairah area, Al Khaldiyah, and Al Muroor from Al Maqta West.
- Route 34: Connecting Ladies Club, Al Ras Al Akhdar with Abu Dhabi Court will experience direct services to Al Ras Al Akhdar, Al Khaldiyah, and Al Muroor.
- Route 44: Starting from
Officers Club, will expand to
the Iranian Market through Al Mina with travel time in Al Mushrif reduced.
- Route 52: Will reach Al Sowwah Square-Al Mariah, from Abu Dhabi Courts.
- Route 54: Has been expanded to reach Fish Market, Mina from Petroleum Institute, Umm Al Naar.
- Route 56: Will have a better reach to Khalifa Park from
- Route 350: Linking Bus Station with Police School-Sweihan, has cancelled its stop at Salamat and Al Yahar North Interchange. The service now reaches the Police School in Sweihan.
- Route 440: That connects Al Ain Bus Station with Al Musaffah Bus Station in Abu Dhabi, has cancelled the service between Twam Hospital and Al Ain Airport. The route now starts from Al Ain Bus Station, stopping at Al Yahar North Interchange and Al Saad Police Station, changing the route from Al Khatim, to stop inside Musaffah Bus Station in Abu Dhabi.
- Route 490: Connecting Abu Dhabi International Airport with Al Ain Bus Station. It will stop at Al Yahar North Interchange and Al Saad Police Station, then have its route changed in Al Khatim with stop service cancelled at both Abu Dhabi University and Al Mafraq Hospital. Service extends to Abu Dhabi Airport Terminal 2.
- Route 491: Linking Al Ain Souq with Al Yahar North, now reaches Alf Maskan Area and stops at Al Yahar North Exchange.
- Route X90: Linking Al Ain Bus Station with Abu Dhabi Bus Station, now stops at Al Yahar North Interchange.