Wknd. KTBuzzon Inspired Living Indulge City Times KT Mobile KT ePaper KT Competitions Subscribe KT
Khaleej Times
Khaleej Times Google Plus Page Khaleej Times Facebook Page Khaleej Times Twitter Page Khaleej Times on Instagram
  Inspired Living
  Parent Talk
  Used Cars
Home > Region
Mubarak fears prison doctors want him dead: Lawyer

(AP) / 13 June 2012

Hosni Mubarak’s condition has stabilized but his lawyer says the 84-year old former president does not trust his doctors in the prison hospital and fears they are out to kill him.

There have been conflicting reports about Mubarak’s condition since a court convicted him on June 2 of failing to prevent the killings of protesters in the uprising that ousted him last year. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Since his arrival at the prison, the 84-year old Mubarak has been suffering from high blood pressure and breathing difficulties and is diagnosed with deep depression, according to security officials at Torah prison. On Monday, doctors used a defibrillator on him twice after they could not find a pulse.

In a late night TV program Monday, Mubarak’s lawyer Farid el-Deeb said he had asked concerned authorities to transfer Mubarak to a better equipped military hospital because of his fragile health. El-Deeb painted a picture of a paranoid man who does not trust the medical team in the prison and who has at times resisted their instructions. He was speaking on CBC, a private TV station.

“Mubarak doesn’t trust anyone anymore. He was surprised to find new doctors treating him, not the ones who treated him before, and is afraid to take anything from anyone. He doesn’t recognize the faces around him. This is a big problem for him,” el-Deeb said.

At one point, Mubarak told his lawyer that he fears his doctors are out to kill him.

“‘Help me Farid,’ he said in a very faint voice,” el-Deeb quoted Mubarak as saying. “He said: ‘I’m uncomfortable and I don’t feel safe. I feel they are ordered to kill me.’”

The lawyer said the decision to transfer him to the prison hospital was a surprise to him and his team, because despite pressure from parliament and protesters to transfer Mubarak to prison, his doctors had said his condition does not permit it.

A new round of protests erupted right after the Mubarak verdict because he and his two sons were acquitted of corruption charges that were part of the same case. While Mubarak and his top security chief got life in prison, six top police commanders were acquitted on the charges of complicity in the killing of protesters during the uprising.

A prosecution official said that it is up to the prison authorities to decide whether Mubarak needs to be transferred to another hospital. They would be held responsible if they fail to act in due time, said the official speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to address the media.

Medical officials said Mubarak’s condition had improved by Tuesday and he was administered oxygen to aid his breathing once for five minutes. They said they are monitoring his heart and blood pressure closely and he is in intensive care. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.

Officials also said Mubarak was being given liquids intravenously and had lost consciousness several times on Sunday.

Many Egyptians accused authorities of showing Mubarak too much reverence. Others continue to see him as a decorated war hero whose old age and service to Egypt are grounds for leniency.


For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes, and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes

comments powered by Disqus