Wknd. KTBuzzon Inspired Living Indulge City Times KT Mobile KT ePaper KT Competitions Subscribe KT
Khaleej Times
Khaleej Times Google Plus Page Khaleej Times Facebook Page Khaleej Times Twitter Page Khaleej Times on Instagram
   
  UAE Sports
  Cricket
  Football
  Horse Racing
  Tennis
  Sports Talk
   
   
  wknd.
  Indulge
  Inspired Living
  Parent Talk
   
   
  Classifieds
  Properties
  Used Cars
   
Home > Region
 
Print this story
US mulls Libya strikes

(AP) / 16 October 2012

The White House has put special operations strike forces on standby and moved drones into the skies above Africa, ready to strike militant targets from Libya to Mali — if investigators can find the Al Qaeda-linked group responsible for the death of the US ambassador and three other Americans in Libya.

But officials say the administration, with weeks until the presidential election, is weighing whether the short-term payoff of exacting retribution on Al Qaeda is worth the risk that such strikes could elevate the group’s profile in the region, alienate governments the US needs to fight it in the future and do little to slow the growing terror threat in North Africa.

Details on the administration’s position and on its search for a possible target were provided by three current and one former administration official, as well as an analyst who was approached by the White House for help.

The dilemma shows the tension of the White House’s need to demonstrate it is responding forcefully to Al Qaeda, balanced against its long-term plans to develop relationships and trust with local governments and build a permanent US counterterrorist network in the region.

Vice-President Joe Biden pledged in his debate last week with Republican vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan to find those responsible for the Sept. 11 attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others.

“We will find and bring to justice the men who did this,” Biden said in response to a question about whether intelligence failures led to lax security around Stevens and the consulate. Referring back to the raid that killed Osama bin Laden last year, Biden said American counterterror policy should be, “if you do harm to America, we will track you to the gates of hell if need be.” The White House declined to comment on the debate over how best to respond to the Benghazi attack.

The attack has become an issue in the US election season, with Republicans accusing the Obama administration of being slow to label the assault an act of terrorism early on, and slow to strike back at those responsible.

“They are aiming for a small pop, a flash in the pan, so as to be able to say, ‘Hey, we’re doing something about it,’” said retired Air Force Lt. Col. Rudy Attalah, the former Africa counterterrorism director for the Department of Defense under President George W. Bush.

Attalah noted that in 1998, after the embassy bombing in Nairobi, the Clinton administration fired cruise missiles to take out a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan that may have been producing chemical weapons for Al Qaeda.

“It was a way to say, ‘Look, we did something,’” he said.

On the subject of developing a special operations unit, US officials received approval from Congress well before the Benghazi attack to reprogramme some funding in the budget that could be used for the commando program in Libya.

But the details are still being discussed with the Libyans and also must get final approval from Congress, according to the defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The initial cost is estimated at about $6.2 million.

The defence official said US leaders have recognised the need to train Libyan commando forces, but details such as the size, mission and the composition of the forces are still being finalised.  A Washington-based analyst with extensive experience in Africa said that administration officials have approached him asking for help in connecting the dots to Mali, whose northern half fell to Al Qaeda-linked rebels this spring. They wanted to know if he could suggest potential targets, which he says he was not able to do.

“The civilian side is looking into doing something, and is running into a lot of pushback from the military side”, the analyst said. “The resistance that is coming from the military side is because the military has both worked in the region and trained in the region. So they are more realistic.”

Islamists in the region are preparing for a reaction from the US.

“If America hits us, I promise you that we will multiply the Sept. 11 attack by 10,” said Oumar Ould Hamaha, a spokesman for the Islamists in northern Mali, while denying that his group or Al Qaedafighters based in Mali played a role in the Benghazi attack.

Finding the militants who overwhelmed a small security force at the consulate isn’t going to be easy.

The key suspects are members of the Libyan militia group Ansar Al Shariah. The group has denied responsibility, but eyewitnesses saw Ansar fighters at the consulate, and United States intelligence intercepted phone calls after the attack from Ansar fighters to leaders of Al Qaedain the Islamic Maghreb, or AQIM, bragging about it. The affiliate’s leaders are known to be mostly in northern Mali, where they have seized a territory as large as Texas following a coup in the country’s capital.

But US investigators have only loosely linked “one or two names” to the attack, and they lack proof that it was planned ahead of time, or that the local fighters had any help from the larger Al Qaeda-affiliate, officials say. —

 
Print this story
Comments
comments powered by Disqus