Wknd. KTBuzzon Inspired Living Indulge City Times KT Mobile KT ePaper KT Competitions Subscribe KT
Khaleej Times
Khaleej Times Google Plus Page Khaleej Times Facebook Page Khaleej Times Twitter Page Khaleej Times RSS Feeds
   
  UAE Sports
  Cricket
  Football
  Horse Racing
  Tennis
  Sports Talk
   
   
  wknd.
  Indulge
  Inspired Living
   
   
  Classifieds
  Properties
  Used Cars
   
Home > Region
 
Print this story
Four CNN reporters detained in Bahrain for violating rules

/ 1 April 2011

MANAMA — Four CNN reporters were arrested at a security checkpoint in the Northern district on Wednesday.

“The journalists, who failed to produce any document proving their identity, have been handed over to the Northern Police Directorate,” Information Affairs Authority (IAA) External Information Director General Shaikh Abdulla bin Ahmed Al Khalifa said.

Initial investigations revealed that they entered Bahrain on March 28 to prepare a programme on social media.

However, they violated their real mission for which they arrived in Bahrain and visited an area without having official documents to prove their identity.

The journalists were later released after they signed an undertaking not to exceed the limits of their mission or violate rules or regulations.  Meanwhile, one of the largest Sunni groups has called for the withdrawal of passports of all those found responsible for disturbing Bahrain’s security during the recent unrest.

The Al Asala Islamic Society said in a statement on Wednesday that Article 10 of the Nationality Law should be implemented on those individuals who promoted violence that led to the death of citizens, residents and policemen. The society stressed that the passport withdrawal should mainly cover the plot’s leaders.

About a Kuwait mediation offer between the government of Bahrain and the opposition, Kuwaiti Ambassador Shaikh Azzam Mubarak Al Sabah had denied his country’s involvement in the mediation.

The Kuwaiti ambassador described security and stability as a top priority, dismissing any other option for the time being. Police forces have denied website reports that a 15-year-old Bahraini boy was killed when police shot him in the face. A spokesman for the Ministry of Interior told the press on Thursday that the boy died after suffering serious injuries.

A hospital alerted the Northern Police Directorate of his death. A post-mortem revealed that he suffered a fatal neck fracture, badly damaging his blood vessels.

The Northern Police Director General denied allegations claiming the youngster had been shot. “No clashes between police and protesters were reported at the area from which his relatives brought him to the hospital,” he said. Authorities are conducting an investigation to uncover the circumstances surrounding his death.

shamada@khaleejtimes.com

 
Print this story
Comments
comments powered by Disqus