Wknd. KTBuzzon Inspired Living Indulge City Times KT Mobile KT ePaper KT Competitions Subscribe KT
Khaleej Times
Khaleej Times Google Plus Page Khaleej Times Facebook Page Khaleej Times Twitter Page Khaleej Times on Instagram
  Inspired Living
  Parent Talk
  Used Cars
Home > Nation Archive
Print this story
Sri Lankan gets life term for murder

By Mohsen Rashid / 16 March 2004

DUBAI- The Dubai Criminal Court, on Monday sentenced a Sri Lankan man to life imprisonment for premeditated murder.

Mohammed Nyas Mohammed Mourad who works as a waiter in Abu Dhabi was pleaded guilty for killing Salahuldin Jan Bahadir. The murder, according to the verdict, was connected with theft.

According to the indictment sheet the accused was on his way to Dubai coming from Abu Dhabi. He wanted to travel to Dubai by hitchhike when he stood at the edge of the road and waved to a truck to take him to the emirate, where he wanted to see a friend (woman).

The truck stopped and the driver asked him to get in and agreed to give him a lift to Dubai. The moment Mourad was seated in the truck the driver began to touch his left thigh. The driver offered him an amount of money to have sex with him. This enticed the accused, who pretended to consent but planned to finish him off and take over the money he had, especially when he saw a knife behind the seat.

The two men began to chat and when they reached Karama, the driver switched off the engine, closed the doors and pulled down the curtains.

Both men moved to the back seat where the truck driver took off his clothes and that of the accused. Moments later the accused took the knife and stabbed the naked driver nine times before he fell behind the seat.

The accused wore his clothes and took over the money in possession of the dead driver.

Police said some Dh 31,000 was stolen by the accused from the dead driver of which Dh 8,000 and SR 22,800. He was also said to have made off with the mobile telephone of the driver before he got rid of the knife.

Dubai Investigations Department had discovered the crime after a foul smell emitted from inside the truck as the body was decomposed. Police also saw drops of blood beneath the vehicle.

After analysing the fingerprints, and thorough investigations police arrested the killer, who confessed to the crime and guided the Police to the stolen money.

The court ordered him to remain in jail for life due to his heinous murder.


Print this story
comments powered by Disqus